Monday, February 1, 2010

FAME - I'm Going to Live Forever

I'll be honest - I have never seen the show or the movie Fame, BUT I have seen the real life Fame AND it's in my backyard or front yard depending on how you look at it. With the ending of Jersey Shore (tear) another show has filled the Thursday night line-up on MTV - Taking the Stage which is in it's second season.

At first glance, I probably wouldn't have thought much about this show, but it takes place at the School for the Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA) which is part of the Cincinnati Public School System. And being from the area, well I had to check it out, and I was not disappointed.

Before I go on, you might be wondering why a school that is part of the Cincinnati Public School system is the focus of an MTV show because really, what it so special about Cincinnati? The school (as you can probably guess) focuses on creative and performing arts - to the point that students pick a major and follow that course through their years at SCPA. Even though it is technically a public school, not all students can attend. There is a rigorous audition process and students must show extreme talent in their field of study.

What else is special about this school? Maybe it's their list of notable past students:



'Art

Carmen Electra

Ford 400

These Guys

And my absolute favorite...

Photo by: Raoul Gatchalian/starmaxinc.com ©2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 12/14/09 Sarah Jessica

SARAH JESSICA PARKER!!!!


There are so many things that I enjoy about this show. First and foremost, I love that it is about a school is a city that I call home (ok, I'm from Kentucky, but I am about 5 minutes from Cincinnati so shoot me). It's so much fun to watch and say, I've been there! I've seen that! The best part - I went to dinner last spring downtown with my friends and I was so jealous because they saw one of the kids from the show on Fountain Square! Right there. In public. Just like she did on the show. AND I MISSED IT! I just kick myself.

But other than my narcissistic, self-serving purposes, I love the show because these kids have talent, which, let's face it, so many people on reality TV lack. For example, I love Jersey Shore, but these kids are famous for partying, getting drunk, fighting and hooking up. Now don't get me wrong, this is a high school so there is your fair share of drama with dating, the competition among each other, the stress of auditions for various things and the stress to do well. There is jealousy and backstabbing with singing and dancing mixed in. It's like a cross between Laguna Beach and Glee without the extreme cattiness and random outbursts of singing. All performing is within context, I promise.

So check it out, Thursday on MTV because, let's face it, what are you watching now that Jersey Shore is over?

0 comments: