Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Things I Don't Get

There are very few pop culture phenomena that I don't get. I mean very few. I am usually right on board with most of the popular TV shows, movies, fads, etc. But there are two things that I just don't get. Try as I might, I just don't get them (and I hate not getting something).

The first?

Grey's Anatomy.*

I have never watched this show on any sort of regular basis, but I have seen an episode here and there and maybe because I didn't have the vested interest of already knowing the characters or story lines, but I wasn't impressed. Not even a little bit. And the episodes that I did see? They didn't leave me wanting to see more. To me that is the mark of a good show. You see catch a random episode and suddenly you are hooked. You've never seen it before, but suddenly you want to see the next episode and every episode before it. That's how I found Gilmore Girls and Sex and the City - two of my all time favorite shows. Grey's though? Not so much. I don't know, I guess maybe I am of the been there done that mindset seeing as how hospital dramas have been done - ER and Chicago Hope ring any bells? I just don't get it.

The second?
I'm probably going to shock and dismay people (all two of you that may read this) but here it goes....

Actors Taylor Lautner (L) and Kristen Stewart pose during a photocall to promote their movie The Twilight Saga: Eclipse in Stockholm June 21, 2010. REUTERS/Bob Strong (SWEDEN - Tags: ENTERTAINMENT)


The Twilight Saga

Ok, everyone. Let out your big collective gasps and sighs now. Better? Yeah I said it. I don't get Twilight and I have read the books and seen the first movie. But the second and the third? No desire. None. Not even a little. My impression of the whole thing? Silly. When I read the books I found myself interested. I wanted to finish to find out what happened, but overall I found all the characters to be annoying and whiny. The only character I was remotely interested in was Jacob and apparently that makes me a looney tune because how could you NOT LOVE EDWARD?!?! Well I think Edward is an overprotective, possessive, self important lunatic. I don't know why anyone would think he is so dreamy. And all that romantic garbage he spews. Gag. And before you go telling me that I'm not a romantic sap, I want to state that I am not for cheesy romance like writing me a song. Please. If my husband wrote me a song and played it for me on the piano I would die twice from embarrassment. Once for myself and once for him. I'm more of the he-bought-me-flowers-for-Valentine's-Day-and-it-was-surprise-because-we-don't-usually-celebrate-in-that-way type of girl.

Then there is the fact that these books were written for teenage girls. I just find this to be appalling. What are we teaching these girls? Go for the guy you are obsessive over and you spend all day and night thinking/wanting/loving/obsessing over, so much so that you lose yourself and all that you stand before because you are in love. Please. Then the last book. With the sex? Um, what? I just wouldn't want my daughter reading that. Yes, they are married. But for the love of God they have rough sex and there's all this adult innuendo and then the pregnancy? Lord - I can't even begin...

And the movies? May I just say that loathe Kristen Stewart? She is the worst actress EVER and I mean ever. That is a bold statement, but it is true and I know I am not alone on this. For me she ruined the whole thing with all of her broody bad acting. (Let's not mention that she SUCKS at her job, but she makes more money than I will ever hope to see... ever). Other than her terrible acting, the first movie was slow. I don't know how anyone saw it without reading the book and was suddenly interested in the whole thing because I fought sleep the entire time I watched it.

So in closing, I don't mean to offend anyone who loves either of these things. I am sure there are shows and things I am in to that other people don't "get". No harm, no foul I always say.

*Image via www.abc.com. Show and image copyright ABC.



2 comments:

Elaina Weaver said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I had bunion surgery on my foot, but it really hasn't been too bad.

I too don't get the Twilight saga. I have not read any of the books or watched any of the movies. Although I will admit, with me it is more of a stubborn thing.

d.a.r. said...

Oh Lord. I am with you on both of those!!!