Monday, January 25, 2010

It's All Greek to Me

Tonight, one of my very favorite shows is coming back - ABC Family's Greek! Gosh, I love this show to pieces. I remember the very first episode I watched - it was a new series and the premiere was during the week of my honeymoon. I had wanted to watch the show, but forgot about it until Friday night of our honeymoon. We were relaxing the room because we would be leaving the next day and they were showing a repeat performance on ABC. My husband and I both being Greek in college decided to give it a try and we have been hooked ever since. Isn't that the most romantic honeymoon story you have ever heard?
Anyway, if you haven't caught on by now, the show is about college Greek Life. It follows one sorority - Zeta Beta Zeta and two fraternities - Omega Chi and Kappa Tau. The show plays into several Greek Life stereotypes, but it also does a really good job of showing different aspects of Greek Life - some positive, some negative, and some very true! I can't tell you how many times my husband and I have looked at each other and say, That's so true! At the same time there are plenty of times when I laugh and say that would never happen in a million billion years... at least in my experience.
It's so funny though because it kind of points out some of the silliness of sororities - the singing, the competition with other sororities, the cheesy "family" moments etc but it's not making fun. There were plenty of times in my sorority days that I would roll my eyes at the goofiness, but looking back on it, those were some of the best times of my life (I'm getting a little gushy here, aren't I?). Most, if not all, of my best college memories stem from my sorority and my husband's fraternity and watching this show brings that all back. It makes me long for my college days... until they start talking about recruitment, the stress of competition with sororities - and I don't miss it quite so much. The fact that these things were once the most important things in my life is a little laughable (especially when we are facing potential layoffs at work). But this show brings back my college days and for an hour out of that day, I feel as carefree as I did back then, and that's nice.
The best of the show though it not just the Greek element - it's Rusty. Rusty is not your "typical" fraternity guy. He's smart, dedicated to school, kind of nerdy, etc. Rusty struggles maintain a balance between school and his party-ing fraternity and he does it well. Rusty I think shows that you don't have to be "typical" fraternity guy in order to "fit" in. You can be yourself and you'll find that group of people that is right for you. Along with Rusty comes Dale - who is the true comic relief of the show. You have to check out the show if only for Dale. He.is.hysterical. He's a conservative religious sort of guy who is naive to the ways of the world. Dale is played by Clark Duke who is friends with Michael Cera. So if you love Michael Cera, you're probably going to love Clark Duke and Dale.
Speaking of Greek Life - tomorrow I am meeting my sorority family for dinner. It's something that we try to do at least once a month and I enjoy keeping ties to my sorority family. We keep family ties that most sorority sisters don't even go that far. I will try to explain - there is me "the old one"; then there is Jessica, my little; then there is Shelley, Jessica's little, my grandlittle; then there's is Katelyn, Shelley's little, my great-grandlittle and Kaitlyn, Shelley's other little and my other great-grandlittle. Then both Katelyn/Kaitlyn have littles who are my great-great grandlittles. So you you see, it gets a bit ridiculous (see: silliness and goofiness of sororities) but they are my friends and I love them just the same.

Oh, and I would share with you a picture of my sorority days, but I don't want to embarrass myself here (any more than I already have) just yet!

0 comments: