Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blast from the Past

The other day, my husband and I took a personal day from work due to a death in the family. We slept in a little late, then watched a little TV. I must say there is not much on TV in the mornings on a weekday and somehow we found ourselves watching Sesame Street. I am in no way embarrassed to admit that. Anyway, the skit that was playing was with Elmo (go figure) and a repair man named Luis and some woman, who I am sorry to say I don't know what her name was. Suffice to say it appeared as though she owned a laundry mat or worked there, as the whole skit revolved around a broken washing machine. Luis and the woman wanted to scrap the whole thing, but Elmo insisted they should try and fix it, so they did. Luis did something and ta-da! It was fixed. Only after a few seconds of running it started to shake and rattle and the whole thing was moving all around. So they decided that maybe something was stuck inside. So they take a look and voila! There was the most random assortment of junk that I don't know how someone would not know it was in the washing machine. (Oh yes, this is a children's show, I must set all common sense aside.) However, among the junk was a treasure. A treasure that took me right back to my childhood. It was a clear cup with a little man painted on it. That's right... the Teeny Little Super Guy. You don't remember? Here have a look!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWNgt-x4Gk&feature=PlayList&p=FCF54AF01426DED5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=52

I loved this Sesame Street skit when I was a child! It was one of those things, I totally forgotten about until I saw the cup and then I of course found videos on YouTube. When they pulled the cup out, my husband and I looked at each other with wide eyes. So many questions! How did the cup get in there? Why did they decide to put the cup in there. Surely children watching Sesame Street have no idea who Teeny Little Super Guy is. Surely the producers and directors don't think that people my age are watching Sesame Street (only we were). My only guess is that said producers and directors were smart enough to realize that people who grew up with Teeny Little Super Guy are now parents and are watching the show with their little ones and would delight and marvel at the little reference to their childhood. Well played Sesame Street. Well played.

0 comments: