Monday, March 8, 2010

Just.... Frustrated

One of my current favorite shows on TV is The Little Couple on TLC. The show follows Bill and Jen - two newlywed little people. I have written about Jen before as I find her to be an inspiring person in more ways than one, and lately that has really been no different. Recently, they have been dealing with starting a family and the reality that Jen physically probably shouldn't carry a child because of her size. While this is totally different than the issues I face with infertility, I still find myself relating to her and finding encouragement in her struggles to become a mother.

A few weeks back, the episode was about their travels to Florida to celebrate Christmas with their families and of course the subject of starting a family came up. Both Bill and Jen's family asked about it, but there was a scene with Bill's father that really struck me. He was asking them about starting a family and saying how disappointed he was that they weren't really sure of their plans and that they weren't sure if there would be a baby within the year. It was such an odd thing because you would think that he would know the situation they are in the decisions they have to make. Why would you put that pressure on them? I only watched a tidbit of the scene because I made my husband fast forward through it because I was uncomfortable watching it. You could see though on their faces that they weren't really sure how to respond because it can be such a sensitive subject and I felt physically uncomfortable watching the scene.

The reason I felt so uncomfortable is because I have been in situations similar to that more than once. It's always hard when someone asks when we are going to start a family. I know that they don't mean anything by it and they couldn't possibly know, so I don't blame people for asking. I've taken to being blunt about it by simply saying we would like to have a family someday but we are having problems. I don't mean to make them uncomfortable or make them feel bad, but I want them know. Otherwise I find that they keep asking which only makes the situation more awkward. Which is what I don't understand. I can understand asking someone in casual conversation, but sometimes it feels like I'm being badgered about it. I once even had someone tell me that "I wasn't getting any younger". Um, thanks for pointing that out, I guess? I would like to say that I handle these situations with grace and finesse, but I am not sure that I always do. In situations like that, when I don't feel comfortable explaining my problems, I usually smile and shrug my shoulders. What else can you do? What I would like to do is yell "I AM INFERTILE, BUT THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN ABOUT MY AGING UTERUS!!" But I am a nice person and wouldn't want them to feel the discomfort that I feel.

So what is my point? I'm not really sure other than I just felt like sharing what was on my mind.

1 comments:

Elaina Weaver said...

Found your blog through another blog. Love The Little Couple. They make me laugh. They both seem to be awesome people.

I am not going through infertility, but my husband and I have issues of our own, as in I'm ready and he's not. I too get tired of being asked (harassed) about starting a family. It definitely doesn't make the situation any easier and I never want to seem like I'm mad or blame my husband so I do the smile and shrug as well.